- The need for volunteer firefighters in Illinois has never been greater.
- As the local population grows, so does the demand for firefighting and emergency services.
- With your help, Illinois volunteer fire departments can continue making a difference in the lives of others.
- If you are thinking about applying for a position as a volunteer firefighter, fill out this simple application to get started. NO EXPERIENCE REQUIRED!
Illinois Fire Chiefs Association Mission statement:
"The Illinois Fire Chiefs Association is dedicated to promoting excellence in the fire service by providing an information-sharing network and by offering educational, legislative, and technical opportunities to our diverse membership and associated partners."
For more information about the IFCA, and the Volunteer and Combination Officer Committee who secured a FEMA grant for recruiting and retaining volunteer firefighters in Illinois, please visit www.IllinoisFireChiefs.org
Although local governments and departments establish different selection criteria, many departments require that volunteers:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Be healthy and in good physical condition
- Complete basic fire & EMS training
- Live in close proximity to the fire district
- Have a clean criminal record
- Meet the minimum ongoing training requirements
- Respond to a certain percentage of calls
Time requirements vary by department. Time commitment will depend on several factors, such as the number of calls the department receives, training requirements, shift versus on-call structure, and community activities in which the department requires volunteers to participate.
Volunteer departments prefer that volunteers have the ability to respond to calls 24 hours a day, although most departments still accept volunteers who are unable to leave work or other obligations to respond to a call.
Typically, departments pay for training and firefighting equipment. Volunteer firefighting is an unpaid position; however, some departments may provide stipends or reimburse volunteers for certain expenses.
*Volunteer requirements differ by department. If you have a specific question about requirements in your area, Contact Us
|Do You Have What It Takes?||Volunteer Statistics|